Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Why I love my job...

As many of you are aware, Log Cabin Village features a monthly storytime for preschoolers called "Timber Tales." This storytime takes place from March-June and September-November, and is designed to help 3-5 year olds understand a little more about frontier history using books, activities, and crafts.

While slots in the pre-set dates are allocated for individuals and small families, I am more than happy to schedule a private storytime for organized groups with 15 or more children. Today was just such an occasion. I had the privilege of reading Texas Zeke and the Longhorn to a delightful group of PK kids from ACI Academy. These kids were great--enthusiastic, intelligent, and, of course, completely hilarious.

And so, still chuckling, I bring you the stories behind today's favorite quotes.

In a manner befitting any good story featuring a protagonist named Zeke, the kiddos decorated bandanas as today's craft. They were working away (with washable markers, of course), and I was held captive by the most amazing conversation as they colored away:

Girl: I just don't like spaghetti and meatballs. I don't like the sauce. I don't like the noodles. I don't like meatballs.

Boy: I LOVE spaghetti and meatballs. I love everything about them. I love them more than anybody else.

Another girl: More than Jesus?

Boy: (pauses to contemplate for a moment) I don't think Jesus ate spaghetti and meatballs.

Their teacher and I about lost it at this point.

Second great moment...from a sweet girl who had just completed her bandana:

Girl: I'm a cowdaughter.

Me: You're a what?

Girl: A cowdaughter.

Me: (puzzled expression)

Girl: Well...I figure that a cowgirl is a grownup lady...and I'm still a kid. So I must be a cowdaughter.

Priceless.

From the mouths of 4 & 5 year olds...

No comments: