Tuesday, March 30, 2010
April 9, 2010
TIMBER TALES STORYTIME
Featured story: Covered Wagon, Bumpy Trails by Verla Kay. Follow a family on their covered wagon trip west in this lyrical tale of bumpy trails! $4 fee includes a story, fun activities, and a craft, all geared towards 3-5 year olds. Please call 817-392-5881 to make your reservation (required).
April 10, 2010
ALL SOWN UP
Join us as we undertake spring planting! Plow the field, pump and haul water, scatter some seed, and watch the garden grow. Be sure to visit with The Greater Fort Worth Herb Society while you’re here! Cost is regular Village admission plus a $2 fee to make a craft.
Monday, March 29, 2010
2 Legal and Illegal Food Ingredients on Los Caminos Real
Friday, March 26, 2010
Article 1 in a series about historic foodways of the Camino Real de Los Tejas by Richard G. Santos, an international research historian, linguist and educator based in San Antonio, Texas. If you have family recipes to share, please send these recipes and memories of home cooked meals to firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a Board Member of the State Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail, Santos decided to do this series in a chronological perspective. He is about half way through, still wanting to deal with the Post Civil War, Great Depression and Mexican migration of the 20th Century.
Santos has graciously shared these articles with Log Cabin Village and other educational outlets. We will continue to bring the installments to you.
1 Cuisine and Recipes of the Camino Real de Los Tejas Wanted
Tuesday, March 23, 2010
May 15, 2010
STRIKE WHILE THE IRON’S HOT!
Experience life before hardware and lumber stores! See the blacksmith hand-forge unique creations, take a turn working wood at the shave horse, and watch trained cooper (barrel/cask/bucket maker) Dan Tatum and members of the Woodturners of North Texas at work. This day is for do-it-yourselfers! Cost is regular Village admission plus a $2 fee to make a wooden mallet to take home.
Registration Form--Cooking and/or Woodworking
Registration Form WW
Monday, March 22, 2010
Since the Texas Association of Museums and its annual meeting is so important to Log Cabin Village, we thought y'all might like to see just a glimpse of what I experienced last week. Enjoy!
Please click on any photo within the slide show to control speed and/or make photos larger. I have provided hyperlinks with more information in some of the photo captions.
Friday, March 12, 2010
March 13, 2010
Grab your punches and your awls...it’s time to craft leather! Fort Worth’s own Lone Star Leather Crafters Guild will be here demonstrating their fine work and giving Village visitors the chance to stamp a little leather on their own! No reservations required. Cost is regular Village admission. Crafts for this event are generously provided by Tandy Leather Factory and Hide Crafters.
And because we want to share EVERYTHING with y'all in a convenient fashion, here are both features.
Mike Kinney's Pioneer School video
Cozy Cabins Magazine Feature
Thursday, March 11, 2010
Check out this incredible video made for us by Kristina Howard as part of her TCC-Trinity River Campus service learning project! Thanks Kristina!!!
Thursday, March 4, 2010
- School tours and walk-in visitation are back in full swing! The Village may be beautiful when it's quiet, but we eagerly anticipate the days when the pitter-pattering of feet fill our halls...
- We've been making new friends! We love partnering with other like-minded entities, both local AND far away. We currently have students from the Tarrant County College-Trinity River campus doing some service learning projects for us. These projects range from site and cabin maintenance to shooting video and taking photographs. We also recently hosted Kiddin Around USA, and look forward to a potential upcoming partnership with Performing Arts Fort Worth, Inc. We participated in a great survey administered by Reach Advisors.
- We've been enjoying our existing partnerships! The Greater Fort Worth Herb Society has started "waking" the garden up for spring. The Lone Star Leather Crafters will be here next Saturday. The Prairie Dogs (Lone Star Dutch Oven Society), Woodturners of North Texas, and cooper Dan "Five Buckets" Tatum have all signed on for May.
- We've been getting great press! We were recently featured in a great article in MomsOutLoud. Some of our winter photos were featured on NBC Channel 5. And we have another project "in the works." We'll fill you in on that one later. :)
- We've been making improvements! A new sign is about to be installed for the Howard cabin. The Parker cabin has been re-stabilized. Our tool shed has been rebuilt. And we have new items in our gift shop, including the recently released Fort Worth Parks book and the much sought-after limberjacks!
- We've been planning special events! We've got Timber Tales Storytime and Tooling Around next week. More information on those and other upcoming events can be found on our calendar!
- We've been using social media! We've been learning about making videos. We've made friends from Dallas to Ireland using Twitter. And we've been continuing great conversations with our fans on Facebook.
There's a lot more, but you probably get the idea by now.
Most importantly, we are ALWAYS striving to provide exciting and meaningful opportunities for our visitors, friends, fans, and Tweeps to "escape the present, and experience the past." We hope you'll continue to support and help us on this journey. We appreciate you!